View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu, 2018/05/24 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
So glad I found OTFBrutusGUI, a little help please 

Unread post So glad I found OTFBrutusGUI, a little help please
Hi tateu, I have an old External Backup HDD which I've encrypted with TC few years ago, and it's a hidden partition...
I haven't accessed the drive for more than a year, and I'm sure that I know the password (or at least the most of it),
but I can't access it, I suspect that there is something wrong with that HDD, but I want to make sure before I trash it.

So I have tried with TrueCrypt on Windows8.1 and I have also tried with VeraCrypt on Linux (on TC mode) but no luck!
Both Windows and Linux see the hidden drive when I click on "Select device" and it's on: \Device\Hardisk3\Partition1

Password - I remember it clearly was: "WindowTrueCrypt007" or Maybe "WindowTrueCryptSSD007" - I know for sure that the 1st word is "Window"!

But now I have some doubts about 2nd (if Capitalized or not) and 3rd word (With/out SSD) and about the numbers (007/700/077) so I want to try with:

WindowTrueCrypt007
WindowTryecrypt007
Windowtruecrypt007

Each Word was used Once, so the combination has to be something like this: |Window| + |TrueCrypt| + (Don't know if there's + |SSD| before the Numbers) + |007|...
How do I do that?

Btw, I don't know if it helps, but I already tried other method with no luck, because unlike in his tutorial, I couldn't see the "TrueCrypt Boot Loader token" (maybe something went wrong with my External SSD? or perhaps it's because my HDD is hidden?).

Thanks! :wink:

Sun, 2018/01/21 11:44 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: So glad I found OTFBrutusGUI, a little help please
To try different characters, enclose them in [] with no separator between them. And you can add a number range inside of {}

[07]{2} will give you 4 different options:

To try different words, enclose them in () with a | separator. And you can add a number range inside of {}

(SSD|DSS){0-1} will give you 3 different options {0-1} means to choose 0 or 1 of the previous words:
empty
SSD
DSS

Based on your example, the following sounds about right:
Window[tT]rue[cC]rypt(SSD){0-1}[07]{3}

It always starts with Windows
It tries variations of TrueCrypt with the T and C upper and lower case
It tries with SSD and without it
It tries all variations 777, 770, 707, 000, etc.

Mon, 2018/01/22 9:17 pm
Profile WWW

Wow, thanks Tateu, I'm gonna try it right now!

1. As for the HDD Header thing, should I be worried? since I couldn't see the "TrueCrypt Boot Loader token" in HEX Editor?
or is it because the HDD is hidden, what you think?

2. If I want larger numbers than 700, let's say 7000, all I need to do is change that to: [01]{4} ?

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!

Tue, 2018/01/23 3:45 am
Site Admin

1) The boot loader token is only there if you encrypted your operating system drive/partition. I'm not sure what you mean by "the HDD is hidden." Do you mean a TrueCrypt hidden "volume?" Regular TrueCrypt volumes and hidden volumes do not have a boot loader token because they are not bootable.

2) Yes. {4} will try all variations that are 4 characters long. {3-4} will try all variations that are 3 characters and 4 characters long.

Thu, 2018/01/25 1:07 am
Profile WWW

1) Yes - It's a TrueCrypt hidden "volume"! Good to know, I guess that even without the token, it's a good sign that I don't see zeros in Hex Editors, but random characters everywhere. but I can't still explain why I can't mount the drive or bruteforce it, I think it has some header issue.
After all, I know the password for sure, and even the "Auto-mount Device" is not working like it used to, so I wonder what else can I do in order to access it. :(

2) Thanks! tried it, no luck (I guess there's some problem with the drive).

Thanks again!

Thu, 2018/01/25 1:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]