View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue, 2018/12/18 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
OTFBrutusGUI - Feature Requests 

Unread post OTFBrutusGUI - Feature Requests
Hi,
currently I use your OTFBrutusGUI 0.2.0.4 because I can't remember part of my password...
And because I can't remember the order of used phrases in it, OTFBrutus needs to test a huge amount.

Because of this huge number of possibilities I would like to request some features:

*Session-Managment (You can stop and continue later [saved in a file because of reboots])
    *GPU-Support (CUDA/OpenCL...)
    *Distributed Guessing (PCs should work together)

Another thing to mention:
Great work :)

Sat, 2012/06/02 4:20 am
Site Admin

Unread post Re: OTFBrutusGUI - Feature Requests
All great suggestions.

Sessions Management - The Load/Save settings menu items already handle algorithm preferences, it shouldn't be hard to add Session menu items that load/save files and store preferences, keyfile lists, password lists, start index, etc. but it's not something I have any plans to work on right now.

GPU Support - I can pretty much guarantee never. I did not write the encryption libraries and I do not have the programming knowledge/skill to do so. I am using the routines provided by TrueCrypt itself and Crypto++ and whatever speed you get is mostly dependent on how well those libraries are written. If someone else releases an open source GPU crypto library (mainly just for the hashing functions) it is definitely something I would look into.

Distributed support - Not likely. I have 9 identical dual Quad-Core Xeon machines at work that can run OTFBrutusGUI with 16 threads each and it would be great to distribute a job amongst them. I just have no clue where to start with a server -> client model. My mult-threading code in OTFBrutusGUI works as is but it is horribly written. I spent a few days awhile back trying to add keyfile pattern support and it always crashes in mult-threaded mode because some shared memory or object is not managed correctly.

Sat, 2012/06/02 11:01 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: OTFBrutusGUI - Feature Requests
Hi, I´m new here and using TrueCrypt also.
As a user I forgot my TrueCrypt password. You know go out on vacation after install a crypto system... along the vacation so much beers... eheheh
So I started looking for a force brute software to help me recover password. I use to use same password with some differences.
Few "googles" after, Tateu, I found your software. Very nice and very flexible.
So to do a little test and applying the exemples, I used another machine with a disk crypto (this one I remember the password) and the sucessul was GREAT. The OTFBrutusGUI found the known password.
OK. It done, now I could go to the problem.
In the problematic machine I couldn´t run easily the OTFBrutusGUI.exe . I had to install vcredist_x86.exe for Visual Studio 2008 before to execute the software.
Before this, I had looking for the same problem on the google, but without the solution.
Finally I want to notice you, and others, about this first step before run the OTFBrutusGUI.exe in a PC with just OS installed (my case Windows XP).

Below the message when I was running the OTFBrutusGUI.exe before to install vcredist_x86.exe.
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Tateu, I'm very grateful to you. The OTFBrutusGUI its a nice tool.
Thanks a lot.
Fred.

P.S.: Sorry for my English.

Fri, 2012/06/08 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]