View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon, 2019/01/21 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
OTFBrutusGUI Help needed 

Unread post OTFBrutusGUI Help needed
I am a complete noob and have only just stumbled into OTFBrutusGUI while searching google.

Yes! ... I've forgotten a HIDDEN volume password doh!

I have made a .txt document listing all the words I use as passwords with each word on a new line.
My forgotten password is a combination of three (possibly more) of these words but I don't know in what combination.

How do I make the software run through all possible combinations of the words. At the moment it seems that it is just running through the list and trying each one individually. It finds the password to the outer volume ok as that is just ONE of the listed words on its own.

I'm sure I must not have undaerstood a basic principal somewhere and would be gratefull for any help. Thanks.

Tue, 2012/08/14 5:24 am
Site Admin

Unread post Re: OTFBrutusGUI Help needed
You are trying to use a Word List file as a source for a Password Pattern. You cannot do that. You can use your own precomputed Word List file (one password per line) or create a Password Pattern and let OTFBrutusGUI create passwords from the pattern.

It sounds like you want to use a Password Pattern similar to the following (this is from OTFBrutusGUI.txt):

use () to specify a string pattern type, with each string separated by |
(red|blue|black){2} will build a 2 string pattern using all of the available strings inside the parentheses
redred redblue redblack bluered blueblue blueblack blackred blackblue blackblack

Since your password is made up of three or more words you would use something like:

(red|blue|black|green|yellow){3-5}
where 3 is the minimum amount of words to combine and 5 is the maximum amount of words to combine. Put as many words inside of the parentheses as you need, separate each one with |.

Tue, 2012/08/14 12:06 pm
Profile WWW

thanks tateu

I had read the .txt file but not understood ... now I do and made my password list into a pattern.

I'll let you know in approx. 175 days if I have any luck :lol: At least I stand a chance now thanks to you.

Wed, 2012/08/15 7:02 am
Site Admin

Do you know which hash and/or encryption algorithms you used? If I select only RipeMD and deselect all of the cascaded ciphers I get a speed increase of about 10x over having all of the default items selected (3 hash algorithms plus all of the cascaded ciphers). Just deselecting the cascaded ciphers increases the speed by 3x.

Wed, 2012/08/15 10:29 pm
Profile WWW

AWESOME :lol:

Mega thanks to you tateu for a simply brilliant bit of kit. I took your advise and reduced my selection to only RipeMD160 & XTS as I was pretty sure TrueCrypt had defaulted to those anyway. Left all of the the encryption algorithms selected.

I decided to dedicate one of my quad core's to the task and do without my cinema for a while and it said only 9 days to wait this time (it had been 6 months earlier lol).

Went away for the weekend and when I got back IT WAS FINISHED yeeaaaahhhhhh. Only three days.

Funny how I the password it spat up felt so familiar to type ... no way of forgetting that ay!

Lesson learned .... now have a written cryptic message to myself on a flash drive from which I can remember ALL my passwords.

All praise and thanks again,

Mon, 2012/08/20 8:05 am
Site Admin

Glad to hear it, that's great news.

Mon, 2012/08/20 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]