View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu, 2018/10/18 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
OFTbrutusGUI - Feature Request 

Unread post OFTbrutusGUI - Feature Request
Sometimes the program can be faced with running for a very long time.
Which is fine [well we all wish it was faster lol] because we can stop the program and restart it as we like.
It is important to note how far along the program has got so we can enter that number as our starting point when we resume.

I [possibly like many others] have the windows update program running in such a way that updates are implemented automatically.
Sometimes this means the pc reboots itself when I am not present.
In those cases I have no idea how far the program got before the reboot took place.

Request: That the program periodically writes to a file to let me know how far it has got.

I know the method of stopping and starting at the old index works for dictionary files.
I am not sure if this works for pattern only decryption.

I think this might help for both dictionary and pattern.
If the data in the output file says something like:
year/month/day time:gmt index passwordString type patternString

I envision an option to resume when starting the program.
If the type is dictionary then the index and passwordString are equivalent to how far the program has progressed.
However if the type is pattern then the index is merely an indication, what is important is the passwordString and the patternString.
I believe the patternString can be copied to password iteration loop along with the passwordString and iteration will continue from the last password check.

When we manually request the program to stop an option to store the progress would be good.
That would save losing the piece of paper we wrote the index on.
In the case of unattended shutdown [due to whatever cause] at least we would not need to start from the beginning again.
Neil

Sun, 2013/04/07 3:01 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: OFTbrutusGUI - Feature Request
It's on a list of things to do. I started to look into it this weekend. If it ever gets completed, it'll probably be something along the lines of Save and Load Session menu items. A dictionary session could be saved out as a plain text file containing the selected algorithms, volume type, etc. device/filename, keyfile list, dictionary file, last password index and byte count already processed from dictionary file. A pattern session will probably be saved out as a non-human readable binary file containing the selected algorithms, volume type, etc. device/filename, keyfile list, pattern string, last password index and (the reason for the binary data) a whole bunch of variable data needed in order to be able to jump back into the pattern where it left off.

apaseall wrote:
I believe the patternString can be copied to password iteration loop along with the passwordString and iteration will continue from the last password check.

Not quite, but I am almost positive that I can copy the password checking Struct into a binary file and read it back in.

As with everything else, I have no timetable for this.

Mon, 2013/04/08 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: OFTbrutusGUI - Feature Request
Jolly good.

Mon, 2013/04/08 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]