View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu, 2017/10/19 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Key files window is not working 

Unread post Key files window is not working
hello there,
I want to congratulate you on this awesome software.
While I have yet to test it on my external hard drive (you guessed it, can not remember the password), OTBrutusGUI gives me some issues:

1) When using the device selection mode and picking a partition within the device, the Use Key Files does not work. I drag and drop, but the file does not appear in the window. I used both the 2.0.4 and 2.0.3 versions and I am running the software as and admin. I even turned off UAC.

2) When I use the file selection mode, I can easily pick the key file and continue, but this option is not applicable to me.
I read on the forum and realized that couple more had this problem as well.
Do you mind looking into it?
I run Windows 7 with 64 bit, but I even tried in a Windows 7 with 32 bit with the exact same results.

thank in advance.
enoxos

Thu, 2014/06/05 9:28 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Key files window is not working
I don't know. It works on all 6 or 7 computers that I have access to, Windows XP and Windows 7 64bit. I've looked into this before but since I cannot reproduce the problem, I don't know what needs to be "fixed." There is obviously something on your systems interfering with the SetDropTarget functions.

Thu, 2014/06/05 10:22 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: Key files window is not working
okay, I actually just found a work around, so you may want to post it somewhere for others to see.
The issue is with windows 7 (not sure about 8, but I imagine 8 has similar security issues as 7 does).

What is happening is that Windows Explorer does not get elevated (in security mode) when an executable is Run as Administrator mode. Thus the drag and drop does not work, which also explains why the drag and drop works when not in Run as Administrator.

There are many solutions, including using another file handling software or using the Notepad.
I like the second option since the Notepad is already installed. So here is what to do:

1) Open OTFBrutusGUI in Run as Administrator mode
2) Select the partition of interest
3) Select the Use Key Files option and allow the drag-and-drop window to remain open.
4) Right click on the Notepad and select Run as Administrator
5) Select Open from the File menu and navigate to the key file (make sure that you have selected the All Files option in the document type so the key file will show up).
6) Now, just select the keyfile and drag and drop into the OFTBrutusGUI window (you may have to rearrange the windows to be able to do this step).
7) Now, it's a matter of cracking the forgotten password. :shock:
Cheers

Thu, 2014/06/05 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]