View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed, 2017/10/18 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
OFT Brutus: Struggling with input file & password pattern 

Unread post OFT Brutus: Struggling with input file & password pattern
Dear tateu,
after searching around for hours, I came across your program and it has given me at least some hope to recover my music collection, because it's the only program where everything can be configured with a GUI. But I keep running into the following problems:

My first problem is pretty basic (I guess):
Im trying to de-crypt/ access a tc-encrypted partition on my internal HD (not the system partition and not hidden).
So if I read the instructions correctly I need to input "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1" for the input file?
In my case it's actually "Device\Harddisk0\Partition4", but I receive a wrong syntax message. So Im assuming I need to adjust the "\\?\GLOBALROOT"-part as well? What Do I need to enter instead? Is "?" = the letter of the partition (if I try that I get a "network path not found" message)?

2nd problem:
I typed my password correctly a hundred times, but a heavy night of drinking seems to have messed with my memory (alcohol is bad, lesson learned).
I was sure my pw was "Dresd34__R0$$118309", but obviously it's not.
I'm still fairly certain about the following chunks: "Dresd"; "__"; "$$"; "118309".
So I'm guessing I need to combine the parameters you describe in the BrutusGUI.txt, but I have no idea how?

Any assistance from you would be great!

Thanks very much in advance!

Thu, 2014/12/25 1:29 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: OFT Brutus: Struggling with input file & password patter
Run it as Administrator and press the Select Device button to choose the correct partition.

You string together the parts you know with patterns for the parts you don't.

Dresd[0-9]{2}__[a-zA-Z0-9]{2}$$118309

assumes the 1st part you don't know has a length of {2} and is a number from 0-9.
assumes the 2nd part you don't know has a length of {2} and is a letter from a-z, a letter from A-Z or a number from 0-9.

The above are examples of simple patterns and the entire sequence contains only 384400 possible passwords, which is definitely crackable. Without more information on the unknown parts, I don't know if you need more complex patterns.

Thu, 2015/01/01 9:11 am
Profile WWW

Unread post Re: OFT Brutus: Struggling with input file & password patter
Dear tateu, many thanks for your reply!
My first attempts were not successfull (pw not found), so I guess I need to vary the pattern more and be prepared for longer calculation times (whis is fine though).

Thu, 2015/01/15 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]