View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue, 2018/12/18 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
QTSource memory leak? 

Unread post QTSource memory leak?
Hi Tateu,

first of all thanks for your great work! The QTSource plug-in is really usefull!

I'm not sure, but it seems to me, there's a memory leak somewhere in the plug-in. I'm encoding ProRes 1080i to 720p h.264 with FFMPEG and AviSynth.
Just after encoding about one hour of video FFMPEG crashes, using about 1.8 GB of RAM, the System Swap File is about 2.2 GB, even with a simple script without any filters, except for ConvertAudioTo16bit()
It happens on different machines and only when using the QTSource. Encoding AVIs works...

I'd appreciate any suggestions :)

Thanks,
Martin.

System Specs:
WinXP SP2
Intel Nehalem
Quicktime 7.6.2
FFmpeg version SVN-r15986
AviSynth 2.60
QTSource 0.8

Fri, 2009/07/24 5:14 am
Site Admin

Unread post 
Suggestion: don't use Quicktime. I think Quicktime is one of the biggest pieces of junk out there. It's slow and bloated. A lot of the memory stuff is handled internally by Quicktime and it doesn't do a good job with it. And I can't remember for sure...but I thought I had issues with the ProRes plugin...even without using it through QTSource. I'm thinking maybe I had problems with the first version they released and a newer version fixed some of them??? I don't know...but you might want to see if you are using the latest version: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Appl ... or_Windows

Having said all that, QTSource probably isn't much better. I'm just a hobbyist programmer and I'm sure there are lots of things I don't know and lots of things I could improve in QTSource if I knew how.

Since we can't really escape from Quicktime in the video editing world...some suggestions that might actually help:
1) Try using SetMemoryMax at the top of the AviSynth script (probably won't help, but maybe???)
2) Encode the Quicktime to lossless AVIs in small sections, then join them together in AviSynth script and encode to your final h.264 format. A pain in the ass but it should definately work...

If I get a chance today, I am going to stick a ProRes AVI in After Effects and see what kind of memory it uses up compared to QTSource...Not that I expect this to help at all...I'm just curious to see if it has any issues.

Fri, 2009/07/24 9:47 am
Profile WWW

Unread post 
Hi Tateu,

Yes, not using quicktime would be great! :) But unfortunately we use Macs for video editing...
I've tried a lot of things, diffent QT Versions, setting MemoryMax, but it all ends up the same way.
I've stitched the encoded mp4 files, using mp4box. Somehow I got into some lipsync issues, so trying uncompressed AVIs are maybe a better choice.
Using intermediate files is a bit of a processing time problem, but let's see.
We've even tried Episode Pro, but on a Windows system it wasn't worth it...

So if you find anything, I'd be happy to read about it.

Thanks,
Martin.

Wed, 2009/08/05 6:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]