View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri, 2017/12/15 9:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
How to - BBWeather GPS 
Site Admin

Unread post How to - BBWeather GPS
To use GPS:
1) Add a new location -- Options - Current Profiles - Add
2a) Set Location ID: @gps
2b) Description must be filled in with something, I use: GPS
3) Set the other fields to whatever you want
4) Press "OK" to save it
5) Under Options, look for the first "GPS Type"
6) The default type is "Autonomous + Assisted" but not all phones support that type. The Bold does. The Bold does not support Cellsite. You can try all four to see which one works for your model. This knowledge base article might also help you decide.
7) The second "GPS Type" option is a typo and should be "GPS Server." You can probably leave this as the default, I just put the second server in there because I could. At some point, I may take the option out and just make BBWeather try the 1st one and, if it fails, automatically try the 2nd one.
8.) That's it, save the Options and go back to the current conditions screen.

The 1st line on the Weather screens says BBWeather, the 2nd line says the City and LocationID. If the end of that 2nd line says "GPS" it means the GPS coordinates were just updated right now. If it says "GPS*" it means it is using GPS coordinates obtained sometime in the last 10 minutes. If it says "GPS**" it means BBWeather was unable to obtain GPS coordinates and it is using the last known valid GPS location. The GPS Coordinates are normally only refreshed if they are older than 10 minutes but you can force a refresh at any time by choosing "Update" from the menu.

GPS type should be set according to the specs on your phone. The various options work/don't work depending on which phone you have. You kind of have to figure that out on your own.

The first four GPS Type options use the phones GPS to get the latitude and longitude for your current location and are set up according to this page: javax.microedition.location.Criteria
1) Cellsite - Uses the Blackberry GPS APIs to get latitude and longitude from a nearby cell tower
2) Autonomous - Uses only GPS satellites to get coordinates
3) Assisted - Uses network data to assist the GPS satellites to get coordinates
4) Auto + Assisted - Looking over the code today, I think I maye have this programmed incorrectly...but it still works...probably either like option 2 or 3 above, depending on which phone you have. It is supposed to use Assisted mode the first time, and then Autonomous mode for all the rest.

This website shows some of the phones and what they can use from the first four GPS types: BlackBerry smartphone models and their corresponding GPS capabilities

GPRS and CDMA modes do not use GPS at all so they should hopefully work on phones without GPS. They grab the CellID (BID) and LAC (NID) codes from the phone network info, then send those off to http://www.google.com/glm/mmap which returns the latitude and longitude of the cell tower. You need to know which type of phone you have. The Bold is GPRS, the 8703e is CDMA. You'll have to figure out the rest...or try both options.

Last edited by tateu on Wed, 2009/09/09 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue, 2009/07/28 11:08 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
EXACTLY what was needed!

Great idea to make it a sticky as well!

Thank you so very much!

Wed, 2009/07/29 3:59 am

Unread post 
Everytime when I go to set location id to be "@gps" and then do a look up it tells me that it is an invalid location id. I have the connection type set to be Auto and I have a Storm 9530. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Wed, 2009/09/09 2:25 pm
Site Admin

Unread post 
bkrasso wrote:
Everytime when I go to set location id to be "@gps" and then do a look up [...]

You don't use "Lookup Location ID." Look at steps 2-4 above. They don't say anything about using the "Lookup" function. The GPS resolving happens automatically, everytime BBWeather tries to download weather data.

Wed, 2009/09/09 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
That is the only way I can get the ok button to work. If I don't do a lookup every time I click the okay button it just sits there.

Wed, 2009/09/09 7:12 pm

Unread post 
I finally got it to work I had to put something in the description and that allowed me to click okay. Thank you so much. Love the gps feature.

Wed, 2009/09/09 7:21 pm
Site Admin

Unread post 
bkrasso wrote:
[...] I had to put something in the description and that allowed me to click okay.. [...]

Yeah, I guess that's a little confusing. It really should pop up an error when you click on OK and tell you that the Description field has to be filled in.

Wed, 2009/09/09 7:51 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
I keep getting this message:
Error - Current Conditions Thread (@gps102):
null

Sometimes the 102 is a different number varying, I think, on my location. I have tried all of the GPS options without success. I have a BB 8230 (Pearl Flip). Does the information posted at "BlackBerry smartphone models and their corresponding GPS capabilities", linked in your "How to Use" post, mean my BB has no GPS capability unless connected to a bluetooth GPS device?

Thanks,
wrnoof

Wed, 2010/02/03 2:23 pm

Unread post BB Weather GPS and Verizon
OK. I did some surfing yesterday, and I found on the Verizon newsgroup site that Verizon blocks GPS access for some applications on some of its phones. For example, it works with BB Maps on my 8230 Pearl Flip but appears not to work with Google Maps. I am sure it probably works with Verizon fee services such as VZ Navigator. I also read vague references to this restriction being removed in BB OS 4.7 distributed by Verizon. The latest version available for my Pearl Flip from Verizon, however, is 4.6.1.

This probably means a lot of the problems reported in making BB Weather GPS work may be with providers, built in blocks and OS versions rather than with your software.

If I can ever get my hands on OS v 4.7, I'll try it and report back. Until then, I am assuming that further attempts to make BB Weather GPS work on my BB will be wasting my time.
wrnoof

Thu, 2010/02/04 8:46 am

Unread post 
I get ERROR: current conditions thread (@gpsV5K) Invalid location provided.
Incidentally, V5K are the three first characters of my Vancouver, BC postal code (V5K1W1)

Any ideas?

Sun, 2011/03/20 11:10 am
Site Admin

Unread post 
Weather data is provided by Weather.com and V5K1W1 is not a valid Location ID on their server.

I do not know how to change what LocationID is returned by the GPS setting but you can set up a manual location for Vancouver by typing Vancouver, BC into the Location ID field and then selecting Lookup Location ID from the menu. It should then pop up a list asking which Vancouver you want. If you select Vancouver, Canada you will get a Location ID of CAXX0518 which does work for Weather.com.

Update...
Hmm, well, I had posted a message that the weatherunderground server didn't work, but now it appears to be working again, so never mind about that...

Update 2...
And V5K1W1 does work for weatherunderground...

Tue, 2011/03/22 10:31 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I figured that it was beyond your control.
I appreciate taking the time to explain it to me.

Regards
Palosanto

Wed, 2011/03/23 9:15 am

Unread post 
Still no joy .... I tried with weather underground and nothing.
And also specific loations entered by name fail.
So I went back to weather.com and forget about gps

Thanks anyway

Wed, 2011/03/23 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]