View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue, 2018/12/18 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
BBWeather v0.91.2 Available (Experimental Release with GPS) 
Site Admin

Unread post BBWeather v0.91.2 Available (Experimental Release with GPS)
This one has the specialized Storm version compiled, not tested on an actual device yet.

OTA Automatically detect Storm or not Storem
http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=BBWeatherEx

OTA Force Storm version download
http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f= ... rEx&os=4.7

New stuff since v0.91.1
* Fixed a bug that caused some problems when switching back and forth between weather servers
* Added the option to use a custom icon on the homescreen to write the temperatire on top of - Transparency does not really work, though.

In the Options screen, scroll down to "Homescreen Icon" and "Homescreen Rollover." Set one of them to "Temp." Check the box that says "Use Custom Icon." Press the menu button and choose "Set Custom Icon." this should bring up a little file dialog box which will allow you to navigate through your SD Card or system memory and choose an image to use as an Icon.

The icon must be:
PNG or GIF.
32x32 or 64x64 - if it is 64x64, it will be scaled down to 32x32. All icons in BBWeather are 32x32 and if I allow something larger than that on the homescreen, it causes a few problems I don't feel like dealing with right now.

You cannot use a fully transparent image to write the text directly on the homescreen background. I haven't figured that out yet. When I use the drawText function on a transparent image, it also draws the text as transparent.
If you still see the blue squarish icon on the homescreen after setting up the custom icon...it probably means there is something incompatible about your icon. I will eventually add something that checks the compatibility of the icon immediately after you select it in the file dialog but you'll have to live without that for now.

Last edited by tateu on Wed, 2009/07/29 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue, 2009/07/28 11:20 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
Time to upgrade!

Wed, 2009/07/29 4:01 am

Unread post 
tateu,

Just wanted to report that somewhere between v0.88 and v0.91.2, the homescreen icon update no longer works for me. I have a Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630. Homescreen update was working on v0.88 with close/minimize settings and perfectly auto-updating the icon+text. Now, on v0.91.2 with the same settings, the homescreen icon stays the same as whatever the weather was at the most recent close/minimize. The current conditions *are* actually getting auto-updated, it's just no longer reflecting the new info on the homescreen whether I'm using a traditional profile or the new GPS profile.

Example:
I open the program at 7:15am and see the current conditions (65 degrees, cloudy) from 6:53am. Upon homescreen rollover at 11:15am, I still see 65 degrees and cloudy. I open up the app and see the current conditions (74 degrees, sunny) from 10:53am. I close/minimize the app and only then do I get 74 degrees and sunny from the homescreen icon/rollover.

If you'd like any other information, please just let me know. Your great work on the BBWeather project is much, much appreciated.

Tue, 2009/08/04 10:52 am

Unread post 
scamcdan wrote:
tateu,

Just wanted to report that somewhere between v0.88 and v0.91.2, the homescreen icon update no longer works for me. I have a Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630. Homescreen update was working on v0.88 with close/minimize settings and perfectly auto-updating the icon+text. Now, on v0.91.2 with the same settings, the homescreen icon stays the same as whatever the weather was at the most recent close/minimize. The current conditions *are* actually getting auto-updated, it's just no longer reflecting the new info on the homescreen whether I'm using a traditional profile or the new GPS profile.

Example:
I open the program at 7:15am and see the current conditions (65 degrees, cloudy) from 6:53am. Upon homescreen rollover at 11:15am, I still see 65 degrees and cloudy. I open up the app and see the current conditions (74 degrees, sunny) from 10:53am. I close/minimize the app and only then do I get 74 degrees and sunny from the homescreen icon/rollover.

If you'd like any other information, please just let me know. Your great work on the BBWeather project is much, much appreciated.

I have had the exact same experience for quite some time, I figured that's just how it was supposed to be and got used to it.

It would be nice if the temp on the icon was always current without opening the program though!

Tue, 2009/08/04 11:10 am
Site Admin

Unread post 
scamcdan wrote:
If you'd like any other information, please just let me know.

I'd like your device to test on :)
The icon updates correctly on my Bold and all of the simulators that I have tried, which basically leaves me with no way to debug the problem.

Tue, 2009/08/04 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
tateu wrote:
scamcdan wrote:
If you'd like any other information, please just let me know.

I'd like your device to test on :)
The icon updates correctly on my Bold and all of the simulators that I have tried, which basically leaves me with no way to debug the problem.

:(

Tue, 2009/08/04 2:58 pm
Site Admin

Unread post 
Is your backlight turned on the entire time? It seems that the icon doesn't refresh if the backlight is always on.

The code to tell a Blackberry application to use a different icon is "HomeScreen.updateIcon(Bitmap newIcon)." This code seems to load newIcon but it doesn't repaint the homescreen, which means the icon doesn't actually refresh until you switch screens, turn on the backlight (from an off state) or roll over the icon.

Tue, 2009/08/04 9:27 pm
Profile WWW

Unread post 
tateu wrote:
Is your backlight turned on the entire time? It seems that the icon doesn't refresh if the backlight is always on.

The code to tell a Blackberry application to use a different icon is "HomeScreen.updateIcon(Bitmap newIcon)." This code seems to load newIcon but it doesn't repaint the homescreen, which means the icon doesn't actually refresh until you switch screens, turn on the backlight (from an off state) or roll over the icon.

No, I have my backlight set to turn off after 30 seconds. Your offer of using my device to test on is quite tempting, but I'm going to have to turn it down, at least for now. :)

I went back to v0.89.1 last evening, just to double-check that I wasn't crazy about the homescreen icon update working in that version. I'm pleased to report that the icon updates perfectly! It is so very useful to have that functionality that I'm going to have to stick with that older version for now. The new GPS capability is fantastic, btw ... but now that I've experienced a working homescreen icon update, I can't picture myself living without it.

Wed, 2009/08/05 4:53 am

Unread post 
I tested mine this morning, I have it set to refresh the homescreen icon every 30 minutes, I waited 40 minutes and no matter what I did, the temp and update time would NOT change until I opened BBWeather and escaped.

Backlight on and off, scroll over it in two different screens, nothing makes it update until I open the application to current conditions and escape out of it.

I have my escape key function set to close/minimize, just for reference.

I guess I will also roll back to the older version, because the main use I have for this application is to have CURRENT temperature displayed on my phone when I look at it.

Wed, 2009/08/05 5:21 am

Unread post 
After EXTENSIVE testing of v0.91.2 no matter what I tried, the home screen icon and text would NOT auto update.

So this morning I downgraded to v0.89.1 and it works PERFECTLY, even with "escape key function" set to Exit.

So it's a trade off, the auto update at the cost of the GPS, but I don't travel much, so I pick the update working correctly.

Thu, 2009/08/06 11:40 am

Unread post 
I have a Bold on ATT and my homescreen icon is not updating correctly either. My current Blackberry Software version is 4.6.0.282. I don't know if the newer softwares are causing the issue.

I have used BBWeather for some time, and the previous version updated properly.

The GPS feature is working flawlessly.

I can tell that the background updates are occurring because as soon as I open BBWeather it already has the proper information loaded.

Below is a screen cap of my device. Notice the update time on BBWeather says 7PM and the current time in the to left is 7AM.

Nothing I do (scrollover, standby, lock/unlock) seems to have any effect on the home screen icon.

Also it looks like the temp numbers are being clipped by the conditions icon. The image below is a good example, see how the tops of the 6's are trimmed of by the edges of the conditions icon:

Thanks again for the work on this program!

Thu, 2009/08/13 9:46 am

Unread post 
Good news.

My homescreen update works properly now. I am not sure what I did, but I had to restart my BB after installing another piece of software.

After the restart BBweather asked for permission to access the WLAN radio. And now it works properly.

I restarted BBweather after it was installed, but it apparently required an additional one?? I suspect something was just wrong with the permissions. If anyone else has this issue I suggest they just manually set permissions to ALLOW all.

Strangely, BBweather obviously had permission before because it could update, just not the homescreen.

Very strange.

Sat, 2009/08/15 10:02 am

Unread post 
Im using a Bold 9000 on OS 4.6.0.304
Running BBweather ver 0.91.2

@gps works fine, except when Im in Irvine Ca, when Im in Irvine it gives the the weather for Germany?? Im no where near Germany. Is there a way to correct this?

Sat, 2009/12/12 7:04 pm

Unread post 
Brahma Brian wrote:
After EXTENSIVE testing of v0.91.2 no matter what I tried, the home screen icon and text would NOT auto update.

So this morning I downgraded to v0.89.1 and it works PERFECTLY, even with "escape key function" set to Exit.

So it's a trade off, the auto update at the cost of the GPS, but I don't travel much, so I pick the update working correctly.

I found these exact same results on my 8130 running OS 4.5... it's a shame. Like Brahma Brian, I chose home screen updates over GPS.

Tue, 2010/01/05 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]